Thursday, January 14, 2010

The Quest for Liquid Gold


For some reason I always thought breast milk was plentiful - like a tap, that flowed whenever, wherever. Pretty much filling gallon containers on a moments notice. WRONG! Breastmilk is like liquid gold. I produce about 2 - 3 oz. per pumping. That's like a single gulp by adult standards. And it takes 20 - 30 minutes just to pump that! And once I do pump it, the process of transferring the pumped milk from the pump to the storage container is a highly orchestrated dance making sure every single drop makes the transition. When you're only producing 2 oz - every last drop counts! First I take the pumps off and shake every droplet into the container - no holdouts in the suction cup! Then I gingerly walk from the living room to the kitchen - paranoid the entire time that I'm going to trip and spill the goods. Then comes pouring into the storage containers. Anyone watching me would think I was disasembling a bomb with the level of concentration I have at the moment. And next thing you know, Paige gobbles it up and its time to pump again. I go to the doctor again this week - hopefully she will have gained weight and all this is working!!

No comments:

Post a Comment