Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Hypertension Scare Will Give Me Hypertension


Enough already! I think I have gone through enough during this pregnancy - I'm ready to get this show on the road and be a Mama! Here's what happened:

On Monday morning, I went to the Perinatologist for my weekly ultrasound. The Thursday before, they found that my fluid was significantly lower than previously and wanted to monitor it. So on Monday, I was a little anxious that they would find that the fluids were lower. Ends up they weren't - they were the same as the previous appointment. So that was a relief! However, my blood pressure was significantly higher than usual. It's usually 120/65-ish consistently, and on Monday it was 135/85. Also, during the ultrasound, Baby wasn't moving as much as she should have been. So, the doctor decided I needed to go to the hospital and be monitored for potential hypertension/preeclampsia. So off I went for a 24-hour stay. On the walk over, I took a look at the paperwork from the doctor and it said "Recommendation: Deliver for Preeclampsia". WHAT?! Is this the way I'm being told I'm about to be induced?

I was admitted to an L&D room around 11:00 a.m., and was hooked up to he monitors. I was also told that I would need to "save my urine" for a 24-hour period. Ummm - EW! I had to pee in what they referred to as a "hat", and then dump that into this large container. It was really gross to say the least. They use it to test for protein in urine (which is another sign of preeclampsia).

Throughout the day, my blood pressure kept going up - as high as 141/86 - and then back down. Daniel came to sit with me, and we notified our families that the Baby could be on the way!

The next day I got up, took a shower, and got in the right mindset to be induced and give birth. I wasn't being given any information to the contrary, so I figured I might as well be mentally prepared. My 24-hour urine collection test results came back around noon - and then we sat there until 3:30 p.m. waiting for the doctor to stop by with the results. Ends up there was protein in my urine - but at a count of 192. 300 would mean preeclampsia. So the doctor then said - "Ok. You can go home. But you need to be on bedrest."

Wait a second - I sat here for 36 hours just to go home?! No baby?! No induction?! I know it was a good thing that I didn't have hypertension/preeclampsia and there was no danger for the Baby, but I would be lying if I said I wasn't disappointed that I wasn't going to be delivering that day. After all this time, I thought this was finally it. But it wasn't. It was just a false alarm.

So Daniel and I headed home, physically and emotionally exhausted. The last 36 hours had been such a roller coaster - and it felt strange to be coming home without the Baby in our arms. Luckily she is still in my belly, but we were both bummed. We're READY whenever she is!

I've decided that once I do finally give birth, its going to be a LONG time before I go to the doctor again. I'm tired of people poking and prodding at me without providing information. Doctors don't understand how hard it is for patients - they give us limited information, and then leave us to connect the dots and figure out what it all means. And of course, 95% of the time the patient connects the wrong dots and jumps to conclusions. I used to think it was crazy when people said they were having a home birth, or decided to avoid hospitals. But not anymore. Hospitals stink (figuratively and literally - what is up with the putrid hand soap they have there?!).

I'm not going back to the hospital until I'm in full labor, contractions 2 minutes apart. I can't stand the thought of going back to that place and the lack of information. I know my body, and I need to trust my instincts about what is going on. No blood pressure cuff can replace that. God is the only one who knows when my Baby is going to arrive - I'll wait until he puts it all in motion.

No comments:

Post a Comment