Wednesday, January 13, 2010

The Truth About Breastfeeding


Breastfeeding is no joke. Before I had Paige, I was told that the first few weeks of breastfeeding would feel like someone was rubbing Brillo pads over my nipples. And I can tell you this - they weren't lying! A Brillo pad combined with a vice grip with super human power. The first week I must have been in a new Mama fog - it hurt, but I figured it would get better. By the time I realized something was very wrong, my nipples were bloody stumps (literally). SO GROSS! A normal person would seek help - I decided this was the process I had read about of my nipples "toughening up". Week 2 came and went, and reality set in - this is pretty much the most painful thing EVER. I literally had tears running down my face every time. I didn't want to throw in the towel, because I know how important breastfeeding is for the baby. But, at the same time, I knew I couldn't go on like this for much longer. After talking with my mom and sister, I figured out Paige was latching on wrong... yikes! When I went to the pediatrician for the 2 week check up, I also found out Paige wasn't gaining as much weight as she should be. Basically, a combination of not latching right paired with severe pain on my end (causing me to tense up and not let the milk down) was causing her to not get enough food. So for the past week, I've started a new feeding routine that has been working MUCH better for me. I do a combination of breastfeeding (with a revised latch), pumping and formula. It's not what I had thought I would be doing - especially the formula part - but I have to say that it is working out really well. Everything is healing up, and its becoming a much more pleasant expereince for mama and baby.

No comments:

Post a Comment